[simpits-tech] Motion cues - a start

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:48:09 -0400

--=====================_1044142==_.ALT

hi,

to date, there is no mention of translation functionality.

translation is the ability to "slide" in the various 3 directions.
elevators translate in the up vector, and that's where we get the mild "g"

translating forwards would put you more firmly into the back of your seat,
which should account for your take-off acceleration as opposed to simply
tilting upwards.

i think translation is accounts for "3" of the "6" degree-of freedom
simulators. without these cues, your motion will probably be more
amusement-park-like, as opposed to the reality you are seeking.

  - adm -

At 07:03 PM 4/12/02 -0400, you wrote:

>>Off and on, I brainstorm the requirements for a motion based sim, and
>>will now perform a brain dump:
>>
>>Assuming a simple platform with only pitch and roll capabilities and also
>>assuming a simple aircraft. By simple I mean, not rolling past 60
>>degrees, not pitching past 45 degrees and not equiped with function after
>>burners (or JATO bottles :-). I realize that might cause all the military
>>guys to stop reading, but I'm thinking baby steps here.
>

>----------
>
>Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
>adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_1044142==_.ALT

hi,<br><br>
to date, there is no mention of translation functionality.<br><br>
translation is the ability to &quot;slide&quot; in the various 3
directions. elevators translate in the up vector, and that's where we get
the mild &quot;g&quot; loading (or its reverse upon descent).<br><br>
translating forwards would put you more firmly into the back of your
seat, which should account for your take-off acceleration as opposed to
simply tilting upwards.<br><br>
i think translation is accounts for &quot;3&quot; of the &quot;6&quot;
degree-of freedom simulators. without these cues, your motion will
probably be more amusement-park-like, as opposed to the reality you are
seeking.<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 07:03 PM 4/12/02 -0400, you wrote:<br><br>
and on, I brainstorm the requirements for a motion based sim, and will
now perform a brain dump:<br><br>
Assuming a simple platform with only pitch and roll capabilities and also
assuming a simple aircraft. By simple I mean, not rolling past 60
degrees, not pitching past 45 degrees and not equiped with function after
burners (or JATO bottles :-). I realize that might cause all the military
guys to stop reading, but I'm thinking baby steps here.<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
Alan D.
Mazurka&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Webspace Design &amp; Implementation<br>
adm.design@verizon.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>