[simpits-tech] Motion cues - a start

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:03:41 -0400

Alex,

When I fly, most of the motions that I perceive are much more subtle
than that.  First, rolling the sim in the direction of the turn is the
wrong thing to do (unless it is simply to provide a little roll
acceleration and a few inches of roll is all you should need).  It may
sound right, but you really have to think about what is happening to you
and your craft in flight and the forces acting on it.

If you think back to what actually turns an aircraft it is not the
rudder, but the wings.  In order to get the wings to turn the craft you
must bank the aircraft.  At the point you bank the aircraft, G forces
build up and pull you downward into the center of the seat.  The
increase of G force is matched by external forces on the wings that keep
the aircraft tracking in the turn. It neither slips downward nor upward
out of the bank.

As a pilot you do not feel any lateral forces to either side of your
body, just increased G loading.  What you propose would lean the sim
over and you would feel a corresponding lateral force into the turn
which you ABSOLUTELY will not get in a real plane.  That is, it would be
unnatural.  For that matter, you almost never feel a lateral component
of G force in an aircraft unless something horrible is happening.

I like your idea for modeling turbulence.  I think that is where you
will get the most bang for the buck.

If you can develop acceleration cues based on changes in aircraft
position (pitch, yaw, roll, etc.) you can add another element of reality
to the sim.   However, rolling the aircraft side to side should only be
used to give you a little kick and be quickly (not too quickly) returned
to level position or you will get a lateral influence from Earth's
gravity that will be unwanted.

Good luck.  I hope to hear more on your experiment as you go!

Marv