[simpits-tech] Motion cues - a start

Erwin Neyt simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:29:59 +0200

Guys,

I got hand on a three part paper, written by one of the great pioneers of
flight simulation motion cueing (Reid). I don't have it yet, but I expect it
to be very scientific (mathematical model of the inner ear system).

What they do is calculated what happens in the inner ear in a real plane,
and simulate motion to get an equivalent behavior.

There are basically four systems to simulate:

1. pitch (and acceleration)
2. bank
3. yaw
4. heave

The last two are only possible with a very sophisticated setup (6 DOF
systems)

I would be happy to get the first two working. Studies have shown the pilot
performance in simulator went up drastically with simulated motion added.
That means that he was more able to 'feel' what was going on with the plane.

As Marv pointed out, all you should do is give cues (subtle short motions)
to simulate acceleration of movement, not the movement itself. The key point
is how to return the sim to a zero position (straight and level) without the
pilot noticing it (wash out). This is where the difficult part of the math
comes in (high level filters).

As soon as I have studied the papers I let you know if I can come up with a
simpler model (compared to the high end motion sims) which can be used for
home-built stuff.

I still have to start construction of my pit :) and here I am planning WAY
ahead... well, I hope I will someday get there :)

Erwin.