[simpits-tech] Motion systems for sims

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:03:22 -0400

--=====================_1226806==_.ALT

hi, group

interestingly, an 8 foot display (as projected through a DLP projector) has
some very interesting effects on people 'visiting' my sim:

* people usually grab something the first time i bank an aircraft.

* i have had one person stop a driving sim because they became motion sick.

* whenever i drive NASCAR racing, the left side of my neck always aches
from turning left. of course there are positively no g-forces involved, but
my neurological programming has instinctively trained me to 'tighten up' as
i go into the corners.

* after about 10 minutes of driving the Amtrak Acela at 110 plus MPH, the
large display really, really communicates speed. somehow, the visuals
accumulate in your subconscious.

these events do not happen on a regular CRT-type display. it probably has
something to do with playing with your peripheral vision.

your middle ear does not necessarily become involved, i really feel it's a
situation where you are "playing back" (through your nervous system)  all
your prior _experience_ involving those motion cues. perhaps,  in effect
"simulating" the experience.

yes, unless the motion is precisely calibrated, you get sick. Disney
discovered this when developing its motion-based rides.

...in case you didn't know..

  - adm -

At 04:32 PM 4/10/02 +0200, you wrote:

>Nice link about spatial disorientation:
><http://www.spatiald.wpafb.af.mil/illusions.asp>http://www.spatiald.wpafb.af.mil/illusions.asp

----------

Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_1226806==_.ALT

hi, group<br><br>
interestingly, an 8 foot display (as projected through a DLP projector)
has some very interesting effects on people 'visiting' my sim:<br><br>
* people usually grab something the first time i bank an
aircraft.<br><br>
* i have had one person stop a driving sim because they became motion
sick.<br><br>
* whenever i drive NASCAR racing, the left side of my neck always aches
from turning left. of course there are positively no g-forces involved,
but my neurological programming has instinctively trained me to 'tighten
up' as i go into the corners.<br><br>
* after about 10 minutes of driving the Amtrak Acela at 110 plus MPH, the
large display really, really communicates speed. somehow, the visuals
accumulate in your subconscious.<br><br>
these events do not happen on a regular CRT-type display. it probably has
something to do with playing with your peripheral vision.<br><br>
your middle ear does not necessarily become involved, i really feel it's
a situation where you are &quot;playing back&quot; (through your nervous
system)&nbsp; all your prior _experience_ involving those motion cues.
perhaps,&nbsp; in effect &quot;simulating&quot; the experience.<br><br>
yes, unless the motion is precisely calibrated, you get sick. Disney
discovered this when developing its motion-based rides.<br><br>
...in case you didn't know..<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 04:32 PM 4/10/02 +0200, you wrote:<br><br>
link about spatial disorientation:
&nbsp;</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
Alan D.
Mazurka&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Webspace Design &amp; Implementation<br>
adm.design@verizon.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>