[simpits-tech] motion systems for sims

Erwin Neyt simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:24:58 +0200

> >However, driving the sim's motion based on the movement of
> the stick is
> >a tricky problem.
>
> Yep thats what i am trying to figure out

You would need all the delta x,y,z vectors to calculate motion cues. Stick
movement does not reflect any motion or cues.

> >I don't think that kind of full range motion is practical in
> the home
> >sim,
>
> I agree that it is not practical  but ...... geeze wouldn't it be nice

Not practical, but not even required.

Imagine yourself turning a standard rate turn. If you close your eyes during
this turn you would NOT be able to tell your turning. The g-force vector
would be straight down the z-axis of the plane. So in a sim you will need to
have the bucket straight and level!

Imagine yourself releasing brakes with full burners, the g-force vector will
be pointing down and towards the back. If you close your eyes, you could
well have the impression your in a (non-accelerated) climb.

All these factors (spatial disorientation) are being trained to a real
pilot, because he must know that he will be constantly fooled while flying
his plane. This 'fooling' is exactly all you need to get the right 'feeling'
in a simulated pit. During my own fighter pilot training I talked to a
experienced pilot and he told me his first experience in a motion sim. When
he exited the sim he asked the instructor how the hell it was possible to
turn the sim 360 degrees in that little room. When the instructor told him
the sim had a 20 degree roll/pitch limit, he could not believe it. He swore
when he flew that loop, he was inverted at the top.

Motion cues is the magic solution, but the algorithms are pretty complex
too. I have not found any literature about how to implement them in a
computer system. I guess it's research is well protected by the big sim
manufacturers.

IMHO

Erwin.