[simpits-tech] Driving Synchros - Here is what I found...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:57:37 -0800 (PST)

> No, but maybe you could get a job at their Redmond plant.  ;-)
>
> I checked the Scot synchro and it is actually called an indicator.  I
> just wonder ho many gauges really use these to drive the needle?

AFAIK, the Scot unit *may* be an air-core motor and NOT a synchro.  I know
they made the air-core motor that's in one of Martin's F-16 instruments.
The device is a "normal" air-core motor that could easily be driven with
that Philips chip that Erwin found, but the draw on it (if memory serves)
is 147mA and the most current that those air-core driver chips can sink is
under 80mA.  (Also, the Scot air-core motors are $250 a pop in small qty)
The Scot device I looked at for Martin was either a 3 or 4 wire device.

g.