[simpits-tech] A-4 pit update

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:11:27 +1200

What a lousy weekend.  Only 23 points in the "Virtual Super 12" (go the
Crusaders) and had the flu!

Anyway, Saturday.. sick of being, well "sick" so decided to head into work
and do some simpitting :)
I got a fair bit accomplished,

- Got the panels mounted in their correct location (had to move them about
120mm forward from where they were!)  Seems almost all the photos I have of
the Kahu panels were taken from square-on and gave no idea of depth.  The
fact finding trip to Ohakea was a bit of an eye opener in regard to how
"3d" the panel layout really is, and how ergonomic the A-4 cockpit really
isn't!

- Welded retainers for the seat plinth in place. Now the seat is set on an
MDF base to fix it's height and location.. Just then I discovered that the
seat is supposed to be inclined a little.  Not as much as the lazy boy
F-16, but about 20mm at the front edge.  Mutter Mutter, made a new angled
seat mount!

- Finally filled that awful hole in the left side.  Got it framed up, all I
need now is to cover it with 3mm MDF or similar.   Downside of fixing the
hole is, now I need to build a boarding ladder as the canopy sill is about
4' off the floor and my legs are waaaay too short for that kind of
gymnastic exercise :)

- Finally got rid of the butt-ugly shelf under the panel which used to
support the 21" TV (when it was an exibit at the museum) and fitted the
dummy rudder pedals, and did some ergonomic testing i.e sitting on seat,
feet on pedals, cold drink in hand, big smile on face :)

Seems to be making progress now that I can see things actually happening on it!

Final bit of news, I may have secured a TM F-16 FLCS and TQS to
butcher..... good times

Sean <must go to bed...head hurts.  I hate being sick> G.