[simpits-chat] Advance Space Propulsion Lab

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:56:38 +0000

>What kind of pumping are you doing just standard mechanical pumping or >are
>you getting down to the point where you are having to get in >things like
>titanium getters and such.

We pump down to a rough vacuum with a mechanical pump, and when that stops
working, we turn on the cryopump, and just freeze the remaining molocules
out. Hence all the liquid nitrogen.

Oh, and about your other post, that is something I forgot to mention: The
tank is a cylander of 1 1/2" thick (I think) stainless - not only is it a
heavy bastard, but it can withstand a ton of pressure. The big, round
bolted-on panel on the front side of the tank weighs on the order of 500lbs,
if I remember correctly. Not something you'd want to drop on your toe...

Brian