[simpits-chat] Tech...

Gene Buckle simpits-chat@simpits.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:27:13 -0800 (PST)

> These days I find most software happily follows the now almost standard
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> It can be a bitch when one package depends on another, which needs another
> and so on - pain in the ass.

I've _yet_ to see one of those package dependantcies(sp) not listed in the
install documentation.  If you have a problem, it's because you didn't
RTFM.

> Unix is still too complicated to get folks to switch from windows. Crappy
> installers and a directory tree that is ridiculously outdated and over
> complicated. One day, maybe one day it'll finally get reworked.

It'll never become that mainstream unfortunately.  People are too damn
lazy to bother with something that might make them think for once.  If
they can't have it done for them, it's not worth doing.  Pfft.

g.