[simpits-chat] Framed

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:18:33 +0000

Ok, reply to all the emails recieved so far:

Virus: low likelyhood. I dont have any mailing programs of any kind
installed on my computer. I'm gonna run a scan once I get back to my
computer tonight, though, just to be sure.

Temporary internet files.... erm, nuked... When they first shut me down I
thought it was for copyright violation, and I got paranoid, quite overly so.

Subscribe conformation was in place, Gene. The Dean recieved the email
asking to confirm for the mailing list, she sent that to IT and they emailed
the newsletter people. At least, I think that's the way it was set up. I
gave the wrong copy of my information to my Commander, I left myself with
the copy with less info, I think. Basically, IT asked the newsletter people
who subscribed that email address, and the newsletter people responded with
one line: my IP address.

Basically at this point I dont care who did or didnt do this. All I'm trying
to establish is the possibilty/ease of either spoofing the IP in the
subscription request, or the possibility/ease of hacking my machine (and
yes, I agree, I've got no security set up). Basically if I can show that it
is possible and fairly easy to make it LOOK like I did this, I stand a good
chance of getting my name cleared. I've got plenty of people here at the
university that will vouch for me when I say I didn't do this. So it will
all work out, I'm sure, I just wanted to go to my hearing with some
semi-professional oppinions backing me up on what might have happened.

Brian