[simpits-chat] Framed

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:39:08 +0000

Hey Guys,

This is way OT, even for the chat list, but I need some serious advice here.

Thursday the school shut off my network connection, and told me to go to the
deans office. I thought I had been busted for copyright violations (mp3s),
but today I got my official letter stating the charges:

Sexual harassment and computer misuse/fraud.

Talk about a wake-up call!!! Anyway, I had a meeting today at 2:30 to
discuss the sitation, where they provided me with the evidence against me.
Someone subscribed the dean of students to a raunchy mailing list, and they
traced the subscribing command back to my IP. So here's my question:

How possible/likely would it be for someone to either spoof my IP in the
subscription request, or hack my computer and make the subscription from
there? I was running '98 at the time (I dual boot), but I do not have
outlook or any other mail programs installed. So, what's your technical
oppinion? I know I didn't do it, but I'm hoping to come up with some
evidence to support my theories. My hearing is 2:30 on Thursday (EST).

All help appreciated!
Brian