[GEM Development] Some links to play with

Armand Colleye armand.colleye at planet.nl
Fri Oct 8 12:23:52 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I would like to have a copy of it.

I do have now a free-dos 1.2 virtual hard disk, with a lot of GEM
applications.
But:
- no sound :(
- no network :(

I would like to mail it, but its size is grown to 208 MB

=Armand=

Op 18-11-2020 om 02:00 schreef Liam Proven:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 23:51, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> More to come soon, I hope...

I did some more hacking on it. I have successfully installed PC-DOS
7.1 on an 8GB FAT32 disk, then supplemented it with all the rest of
PC-DOS 2000. I've also added some small things from the Windows ME
boot floppy image -- the MS editor, Scandisk, a 32-bit aware FDISK
command since IBM's version is balky in a VM.

So I have a complete copy of PC-DOS 7.1 running off a FAT32 disk in
Virtualbox. I have done some very basic manual memory optimisation and
it has 591KB free RAM with CD and mouse drivers installed.

Would anyone be interested in a copy of the virtual HD file?
Formatting a FAT32 volume made it grow a bit -- it's 35MB raw now. It
might compress down well.

I'm wondering how much more to do. Should I add TCP/IP network
support, so the VM can talk to the outside world and the hypervisor?
It's doable but it will eat a *lot* of RAM. Many DOS apps won't run on
the result, I suspect.

Other things that would be possible:
* USB support
* NTFS and maybe HPFS support
* Linux ext2 support

The trouble is, if I add all of them, nothing much will run on the
result due to lack of conventional memory...

<http://nl.linkedin.com/in/armandcolleye>