[GEM Development] Liam Proven! DOS in VirtualPC

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Dec 9 08:00:40 PST 2017

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 9 December 2017 at 03:07, Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:
>>
>> I've been tempted to try to crowdfund a buyout or license of MS-DOS and PC
>> DOS so that PC DOS 7.1 could be improved on...
>
> Not going to happen, same as a FOSS OS/2, because it contains
> Microsoft code that Microsoft doesn't want out there.

I did specify both Microsoft and IBM... if there's anything they want to
omit, well, there's probably not enough that it would be all that
difficult to replace. :P

> But DR-DOS 7.01 was opened, albeit briefly.

Yeah, but DR DOS is a bit weird... in places where the behavior of DR DOS
is different from MS/PC DOS, I prefer the M$ behavior.

Though that can probably be fudged?

> And of course there's FreeDOS. I find it a bit uncomfortable -- it
> doesn't do things like I'd expect, whereas DR-DOS does, or at least
> close enough. But it's complete, all-FOSS, working and usable.

...yeah. That about sums it up.

-uso.