[GEM Development] Liam Proven! DOS in VirtualPC

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 11:40:48 PST 2017

On 8 December 2017 at 20:08, Thomas F Clayton <tfclayton at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Liam saw your question at
> https://archiveos.org/drdos/
> Tried to leave a reply (see below) and it may not have been accepted there.
> But, since I KNOW you from HERE ...
>
> ~Was poking around looking for DR DOS (6.x) source code and saw your
> question. Also, saw a possible answer So here you go:
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2005/02/07/dr-dos-under-virtual-pc/
>
> Hope this Helps!
>
> Tom Clayton
>
> ?Fourth time is the charm?
> (it works(ed))

Oh, cool! :-)

And thanks for that!

I have it working rather well now, actually.

DR-DOS 7.01-06, the last stable version of FOSS DR-DOS from the DR
OpenDOS Enhancement Project, complete with TaskMgr and ViewMax 2 -- so
a complete, multitasking, FAT32-capable DOS with a GUI and
multitasking.

My next plans involve:

* optional (dynamically-loadable) CD-ROM support, so the VM can access
ISO image files.

I have this working on PC DOS 7.1 but not on DR-DOS yet.

* optional (also dynamically-loadable, if I can do it) network stack,
so it can access shared files on the host OS

I don't have this working yet, but I have some preliminary steps done.

* Optional NTFS & USB support (possibly)

Not tried yet, but these look doable.

I am also trying to work out if I can reliably make this into a
bootable USB stick, but that bit is proving to be one of the most
difficult parts!

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com