[GEM Development] GEM Desktop & Linux

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 11:17:18 PDT 2011

Jeff,

I just WENT to the
http://sourceforge.net/news/?group_idˆ914
URL.
 It is Shane Coughlin's (I believe) description of his work with the source code to 16-bit (real-mode) DOS version of GEM (PC-GEM). In 1999(?) the (then) owners released source (that they had) of DRi's GEM product under the GNU Public License. What is spoke about on that webpage is his - and others! - work with / upon that code base.

Now, specifically what you don't want to hear:
 there is NO work on a GEM X-WM involved, there, what-so-ever (AFAIK).

Shane hasn't, so much, abandoned his work on GEM, as that he got a job related to Free, Open-Source Software (Switzerland?) - that PAYS(?) (euro-symbol) - and has been busy with THAT, since. :-)

IF you'd like to see the "improved" GEM that now exists, look up OpenGEM 5 (I _THINK_ that was his last release) on the web and download it. Oh, you'll NEED a DOS emulater - unless you have an old PC type system - and a DOS - available.

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton

Who knows .. MAYBE Shane, himself,  will join us (briefly) to update us. (?)