[GEM Development] More about GEM's and wiki's future

José Emilio Mori Recio jem at archivalladolid.org
Thu Jan 8 12:31:20 PST 2009

Hello again.

It's nice to see so many answers and comments in the last week. As a former
Atari ST user, all the ST emulators, porting problems, etc. which have been
mentioned in the last posts are interesting for me, but my time is limited,
so... right now I want to concentrate in GEM/FreeGEM for PC.

All the possibilities and themes opened here confirm, I think, that the wiki
can still be very useful for documenting all those current and future
developments, both in GEM-PC and GEM-ST. And even for the GEM API itself,
because it's not "finished": as I've seen, there have been several additions
to the GEM functions in the last versions of FreeGEM/OpenGEM, and they may
not be the last. So, I agree with Michael that a wiki is harder to create
and maintain than other kinds of documentation, but it has the advantage to
be a unique and common place for the last up-to-date information and for
fixing any possible mistakes that could be discovered in the future, even in
the oldest information. Furthermore, I think it won't be too complicated to
automate the process of converting, for example, the documentation for each
GEM function to a wikipage. I can deal with that... if the wiki is fixed, of
course.

So, we're back to the problem, we don't have any news from the primary wiki
maintainer, Rob. If he doesn't answer in a few more days, I would like to
ask Owen to make wiki2 the primary wiki in order for all of us to use and
expand it; thanks in advance. And also, sorry for the insistence... the
freegem.net domain, where the wikis are, expires in two days, is everything
OK with that? Once more, I offer my help for all these problems, if needed.

Also, and sorry again: I'm very interested in knowing about Shane Land, as
the main *-GEM devoloper in the last years (please correct me if I'm wrong
in that), in order to know which would be the starting point for our new
improvements (OpenGEM 5, 6, 7, "6 to 7"...) and whether he's still "active"
in GEM development or not. If someone in this list knows something about
him, please tell us...

Looking forward to your answers, best regards,

//     José Emilio Mori Recio - http://www.gui.uva.es/~jem         \\
|| Administrador Informático, Arzobispado de Valladolid y Archivo  ||
\\ Miembro 088 del Grupo Universitario de Informática, Valladolid  //