[GEM Development] GEM not going forward... Comments?

Michael Bernstein pcgem at mbernstein.de
Wed Jan 7 12:14:07 PST 2009

Hi Shane,

> In PC-GEM at least the VDI parameters are treated as an array of WORD
> values and the corresponding C structures are all aligned on WORD
> boundaries. Is this the same on Atari GEM?

Yes. They must be word aligned because a 68000 can not read word (or
double word) values from odd addresses.

> For some 32 bit processors this is non-optimal and a portable 32 bit
> GEM would have to take that into account.

I expect no problem. The definition of the structs contains no infos
about alignement. So the best "natural" alignement is used on a
system. If you recompile your source on a different GEM system, the
alignement of this system is used.

But shouldd take this into account if your 32-bit GEM should also
execute 16-bit GEM applications.

Best regards
Michael