[GEM Development] AVG Does Think There Are Virii in the GEM Files

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 19:09:50 PDT 2007

Thomas Clayton wrote:
> Dear group:
>
> I remember reading someone's previous post about AVG - AVG Free, in my
> case - /MISidentifying/ some of the GEM files as potential virus
> threats and 'quarantining' them. Well, it just happened to me. I /was/
> able to 'rescue' the GEM files from the "virus vault" that AVG sets up.
> I've removed AVG from the computer (that I had just 'set up'). It's a
> good product that /will/ be put back on, /but ONLY after/ I've
> finiished sorting thru the Win99 misc. and downloads that I copied -
> from those old W99 drives (~3-4 GBs), including the GEM 'stuff' - to
> the 'huge' HDD (a 40GB) in the /new/ system (~2GHz).
>
> ... then there is the original 'GE-' stuff on the 4?,386 from the last
> millelnnium. (GE- = GEM, GEOS). (Several - 3,4 - 'huge' 200MB HDDs.)
> Some day ... (it'll have to be /real soon now/).
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Thomas Clayton
>
> P.S.: If anyone /needs/ the names of the flagged as infected files, I
> can look them up.

That's a bit worrying. Suggestion: you might try Avast instead of AVG.
You do have to register to use it, and reregister every 18mth or so, but
it has an exceptionally good reputation.

And Thomas, steady on with the emphasis, old son! You really do not need
that much! One or two words per post is plenty. It makes it tiring to
read, it really does!

--
Liam Proven • Blog, homepage &c: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com