[GEM Development] Cairo Graphics

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 14:27:46 PDT 2007

Dear Group:

>From the VOICE(*) website, to the Hobbes download link, to the source
site,

http://www.cairographics.org/

where one (well, me, I) learn something I didn't know existed before.

"
Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output
devices. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System, Win32, image buffers, and PostScript, PDF, and SVG file output.
Experimental backends include OpenGL (through glitz), Quartz, and XCB.

Cairo is designed to produce consistent output on all output media
while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when available
(eg. through the X Render Extension).
"
Read the rest, on-line, if you want.

Then by a strange quirk while packaging up BYTEs from 1983 to send to
someone in WA, USA, I look inside the Feb. issue and find an article
about the GSX to CP/M and a portable graphics standard that DRI was
trying to implement. All very PREcursor to GEM but ... remeniscent to
someone looking back. Hmmm.

GSX = Graphics System eXtension

Anyway, Cairo is VERY 'post' GEM but 'neat' and I thought some of you
might have an interest in knowing about its existance.

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton

*
V.O.I.C.E.=
Virtual OS/2 International Consumer Education
 organized in 1997 as a non-profit virtual on-line user group which was
formed by a small group of OS/2 users united with a common goal for the
advancement of OS/2. Through education, promotion, and marketing we
want to increase the public awareness/knowledge of OS/2 and see it
become more widely recognized.

http://www.os2voice.org/