[GEM Development] Re: FreeGEM internationalization

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 20:06:42 PDT 2006

Quoting John Elliott <jce at seasip.demon.co.uk>:
> Blair Campbell wrote:
> : Has anyone thought of developing GEM with the kitten library used in
> : several FreeDOS programs?  It allows a program to read
> : internationalized strings based on the LANG environment variable
> : during program execution.
>
>   The way I'd expect that to be done in GEM is for programs to load a
> different .RSC file depending on the LANG setting.

It might be nice, in some ways, if that could be done transparently from the
app's point of view -- when the app does a rsrc_load("MYAPP.RSC") the AES can
check if a (for instance) C:\GEMAPPS\LOCALES\EN_GB\MYAPP.RSC file exists, and
load it in place of .\MYAPP.RSC.  If the file doesn't exist (or couldn't be
loaded?), fall back to normal behaviour.

Pros:
* tidier than having each app look for a locale-specific file directly
(consistent file organisation etc.);
* allows legacy apps to be localised without requiring code changes (in theory).

Cons:
* would probably need an opt-out (perhaps an AES setting to turn it off
entirely, and a flag for new apps to use if they need to);
* might bloat the AES unreasonably;
* my suggestions usually have obvious fatal flaws that I failed to spot!

Anyway, that's my brain dump for the evening, now to divest myself of my current
good mood by pootling round the M25 for a bit.  Yay.

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.