[GEM Development] Re: FreeGEM internationalization

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 19:14:44 PDT 2006

Shane Coughlan wrote:
: This sounds like a significant breakthrough in terms of allow GEM to run
: in different languages.  However, I confess I'm not going to be able to
: implement anything too exciting in this regard; I have no experience of
: using different code-pages.  Does anyone have plans to apply this to a
: GEM distribution?  If someone is will to walk me through it I'd gladly
: put it into OpenGEM!

  If you've already got DOS set up with an international codepage, all you
need to do is replace the screen driver with the latest SD256 or SDPSC9, and
put GEM.CPI in \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS.

  To set up DOS with one or more international codepages in the first place
varies from version to version. Under DRDOS you load NLSFUNC, and then use
CHCP to select the codepage to use.

Blair Campbell wrote:
:
: Has anyone thought of developing GEM with the kitten library used in
: several FreeDOS programs?  It allows a program to read
: internationalized strings based on the LANG environment variable
: during program execution.

  The way I'd expect that to be done in GEM is for programs to load a
different .RSC file depending on the LANG setting.

--
John Elliott