[GEM Development] GEM/4

Warwick Barnes warwick.barnes at zetnet.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 01:09:37 PDT 2006

The message <44636E03.6060303 at shaneland.co.uk>
from "Shane M. Coughlan" <shane at shaneland.co.uk> contains these words:

> rob at midworld.co.uk wrote:
> > Does anyone know the legal status of the GEM/4 VDI and AES as bundled with
> > Artline 2?  I had a look through the executables and can only see DRI
> > copyrights, but I'm not sure what this means in terms of licensing.

> Good question.  I recently tried to speak with Artline, but they said
> they (a) don't release anything for GEM and (b) they don't support
> anything they did release.

> Shane

I have given below the emails I got from them at the time they released
Artline and set up a site to distribute it for free. Has the site been
taken down?
I never managed to get the talked about source disks from them, but he
might have given something to Tim, although how you check on this I
don't know.

Probably going to pull the plug on GEM, might put the software packs I
have on ebay if I can sort out an Ebay sellers pack. Unfortunately 2
blackouts/collapses have revealed dodgy lower back = do not spend too
much time sitting in front of the computer; dodgy heart, two upper
chambers not in sync with bottom, leaky valve, tendency to be irregular
goes from too fast down to stop so far with only 2 second breaks = no
energy; a stroke = much time spent "Dancing with the faries".  Currently
on 18 pills a day with definite prognosis of getting better; Oh! and the
beancounters took my driving license away, I live in the country about 4
miles from nearest bus and so far have managed a walk of 400 yds.

hello Thomas
Tims email address used to be on his site but I think he has been
altering it recently to free up space. anyway here it is:-

timolmst at altinet.net

I really like the site
I think you've just given the whole GEM thing a huge boost.

I sure He will accomodate whatever you want within reason, His main
desire is to help people with an interest in this legacy software.
Anyway as I have to email him I will pass on your comments.

I dont suppose you have a copy of the lattice C compiler version 2.14   or 2.?
I have got the manual but the disks in working order are proving elusive.
There are considerable differences from 3 which are hard to figure out.

All the best chris
 Did you get the GNU license attachment
as somebody else has just asked why I sent it to them so I suspect it's
got glued to the wrong email.

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.

 Outline-Font Design software, we used
> to create the Artline *.AFF and *.AF2 fonts? Have you ever heard of the GEM
> Help Scripting engine, that emulated Apple's HyperCard for GEM. The only
> reason it never had been published were memory restrictions on good old
> DOS. There also must exist a huge number of high quality Illustration files

Drool drool drool

> I also digged around int the links you sent me (thanks :-) ), and I think,
> it's real interesting playground waking up good old memories.

Glad you had some fun :-)

One thing Imeant to ask but probably forgot
GEM GRAPH has MAP (as in geography) and sym files, was there a tool for
creating these?
or any format information?  The 'map' editor which comes with these only
makes alterations.
I tried gemdraw so far without success .
also did gem graph ever come out in a later version which included
scatter graphs?
will gem paint ever produce a full screen colour picture?
sorrey just a few bits that really need tidying up :-)

I really like the site and am waiting with baited breath for the next
installment

any luck over Lattice 2.14 2.2?

best wishes

Chris

The message <01BEBDB6.D6183200.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> Hi Chris,

> ever heard of Presentation Team 2? It has been released very short, =
> before=20
> Novell came in. I did not see any files of this product anywhere. I'll =

Hello Thomas

I.ve got a copy somewhere, I remembered it as chart, graph and draw
collected together, but
now you have jogged my memory I seem to remember other bits and pieces
as well.

The trouble is I forget where the stuff on my machine originated from,
Package wise,
I keep threatening Tim that I will wrap it all up in a big ZIP package
and let everbody have it.
The problem is I will have to take out the stuff that is still copyright
to others, If they
were all as nice as you then the whole lot could be uploaded to the net
for everybody to use.

Bye the way GST Cambridge are still releasing truetype fonts which I
think are usable by gem.
Trouble is the Bitstream and Typographica font utilities are not (c) DRI
but to their respective owners.

I finally got round to trying out GEM with FreeDOS and it seems to work
ok, it's going to need some fiddling about but it should be allright.

Keep up the good work
any news on the sources or compilers

Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
Hi thomas
do you happen to recall if DRI supplied a proper service pack to
manufacturers of device drivers eg video drivers, printer drivers etc ?
and if yes, the where abouts of same.
we now have the original tools from DR and are still not getting a
perfect recompile of screen drivers.
have sorted a few small problems with the source code but still not
perfect so am wondering what is wrong.
How is your rooting around in the cellar going,
best wishes
Chris
The message <01BECBE0.AD1FFC60.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:
Hi Thomas
sorrey not got back to you sooner, seems to have been a slightly chaotic
time just recently.
Sources would be very very good indeed, I have finally managed to tweak
the ver2.2 stuff in Tims archive until it compiles to a semi working
driver but not every APP works, its really quite flakey, but I did
notice that there appears to be a hook in there that can be used to add
additional modes, the ones in question were strange mode 10 large screen
versions labled as VEGA (No not VESA) but maybe we could hang something
else off there. But any later driver source stuff is going to be
usefull, in particular the screen drivers, also there is no source
available at the moment for the metafile drivers, and although we have
some printer driver stuff, Dylan had quite a few but the disks were
damaged, if there is any more it would be usefull to add them.
On a different front do you have source for version 1 desktop, or can
you remmember what was pulled out after the Apple lawsuit, Ken is trying
hard to reglue the icons , and trashcan, back onto the desktop without
much success, although I like his moveable resizeable windows..

best wishes
Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
Hi Thomas
A product for which I have a licensed copy is :-
DATA MANAGER PROFFESIONAL version 1.1 UK.
This is a relational database for GEM released in the UK through GST
cambridge.
Apparently GST Licensed it from a GERMAN company and it has in fact a
copyright notice in the application to :
TALENT COMPUTER SYSTEMS 1998
as yet I have had no luck tracing this operation on the internet and
wondered if you knew anything of them.

If we could get their permission to distribute this, it would be nice to
get this together with the word processor and publisher, especially now
that a spreadsheet MIPSCALC has surfaced, and create the basis of an
office style package for GEM.

Also I came across an Atari st originated GEM OS -MagiC- which also
appears to be from Germany
and something called Pure C which appears on the fringes of the GEM
Atari world.

Thanks for your help
Any progress on all that stuff in your basement
best wishes
Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
Hello Thomas
I found the site for MagiC, which seems to be a super GEM for the Atari
ST with ports to the PC and MAC, anyway check it out at:-

 Wir sind umgezogen...

Unsere neu gestaltete Site finden Sie unter:

http://www.application-systems.de

All the best
Usual nag re stuff in basement please

Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
The message <01BEBDB6.D6183200.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> Hi Chris,

> ever heard of Presentation Team 2? It has been released very short, =
> before=20
> Novell came in. I did not see any files of this product anywhere. I'll =
> post=20
> it next weekend to artline.de.

> greetings, Thomas

Hello Thomas
I have today wrapped up presentation team ver 3.1 (ver no refers to gem
version it seems) except for the bitstream font kit which is copyright
to them.  if you want to get hold of it along with some pack shots then
it will be on my site later tonight,

www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barnes_firsnorton/prestm31.zip

I dont at the moment have any intentions of making a public splash of
the site its just for development purposes and as a means of
communicating with others.

Hows it all going in your basement?

Best wishes
Chris

Hi Thomas
How are you getting on with sorting out the old GEM stuff, I seem to
have come to the end of the external things occupying me and have
managed to get the screendrivers from GEM2 to compile into quite a
robust driver.

I am researching "!" how to take it on from there. add in bezer, upgrade
the code to a more modern compiler, accomodate higher resolutions and
more colours, thats next years creative thinking taken care of. :-)

Anyway I wondered if I could help in any way with sorting out the ,120
was it, disks you had found. I have available both a 51/4 1.2mb/720/360
and a 360k only floppy drive as well as 1.44mb and could transfer the
whole lot to cdrom if that would help.
I got what was left off some disks for Dylan that he could not read at
all, and did some copyright tagging for some of Gene Buckles' Caldera
source code. So I could do the same for your stuff and try to sort it
out a bit, seperate the copyright sensitive stuff and so on. Any way
think about it I don't suppose a carrier would charge too much to ship
the stuff across.

If I can help then I will let you have my address if you have lost it.

best wishes

Chris
HI Thomas
Did you ever find the source code to the later drivers ver 3 or 4 you
thought you might have. I finally figured out how to get the version 2
ones from the Caldera source code to clean compile and feel its time to
get some of the more advanced features added.
You can find a copy of my compile directory on my site should you be
interested.
seasons greetings and best wishes for new year
Chris

--
The message <01BF5B49.9A2CC9F0.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> just returned from skiing. I'll make the sources available until next =
> weekend. How is anything else going?

Hello Thomas

Hope you had good snow .
That's great news about the sources -  are you posting them on the
Artline site?
We are getting more help on the screen drivers and now a compiled Vesa
800x600x16 is up and working for most apps (not basic2 but basic2 plus
works)
Also a fledgling web browser from Heinz Rath check out
   http://www.angelfire.com/de2/heinzr/index.html
or
   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Screen/4835
or
   http://www.geocities.com/heinz_rath/

On checking your Artline site I notice you need to update the link to
Tim's Gemworld site the one in Finland (devili.iki.fi) went down and he
is now at

http://cpm.interfun.net/

Looking forward to the source code

Best wishes
Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barnes_firsnorton
The message <01BF5B49.9A2CC9F0.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> Hi Chris,

> just returned from skiing. I'll make the sources available until next =
> weekend. How is anything else going?

> Best wishes for the new year,

> Thomas

Hi Thomas
Any luck with this yet
regards
Chris

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-)
www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barnes_firsnorton

Hi Thomas
I never did recieve or find a posting of these, is it possible you could
zip attach them to an email,

Thanks
Chris

The message <01BF5B49.9A2CC9F0.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> Hi Chris,

> just returned from skiing. I'll make the sources available until next =
> weekend. How is anything else going?

> > -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:	Warwick Barnes [SMTP:warwick.barnes at zetnet.co.uk]
> > Gesendet am:	Mittwoch, 29. Dezember 1999 00:25
> > An:	T.Krautter at ccp.de
> > Betreff:	Gem screen drivers
> >=20
> > HI Thomas
> > Did you ever find the source code to the later drivers ver 3 or 4 you=20
> > thought you might have. I finally figured out how to get the version=20

Hi Thomas
I never did recieve or find a posting of these, is it possible you could
zip attach them to an email,

Thanks
Chris

The message <01BF5B49.9A2CC9F0.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

> Hi Chris,

> just returned from skiing. I'll make the sources available until next =
> weekend. How is anything else going?

> > -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:	Warwick Barnes [SMTP:warwick.barnes at zetnet.co.uk]
> > Gesendet am:	Mittwoch, 29. Dezember 1999 00:25
> > An:	T.Krautter at ccp.de
> > Betreff:	Gem screen drivers
> >=20
> > HI Thomas
> > Did you ever find the source code to the later drivers ver 3 or 4 you=20
> > thought you might have. I finally figured out how to get the version=20

--
 If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.
Chris father of :-) ( also at chrisjbarnes at openlink.org )
www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barnes_firsnorton
Dear Mr. Barnes,

sorry for the delayed response to your mail, our server had been down for
several days.

In general, I like the idea of releasing Artline 1 and/or 2 to the public
domain, given, some general things are discussed. I had no idea, that
anybody had aquired the rights to the GEM software nor that it had been
released into public domin.

May be, you could give me a call under (49) 711 - 820 342-13

Kind regards,

Thomas Krautter

CCP Development GmbH
D-70435 Stuttgart
Germany

Phone: (711) 820 342 - 10
Fax:     (711) 820 342 - 19

Hello Chris,

good news: http://www.artline.de is online and offers german and english
pages, offering both Artline versions in both languages. I guess, we'll add
more to this site in the near future, such as a links-page as well as some
"historic" backgrounds on GEM development, some pieces of code, that even
did not exist at DRI, as well as some other PD-applications for GEM. Did
you know, that there was a complete Outline-Font Design software, we used
to create the Artline *.AFF and *.AF2 fonts? Have you ever heard of the GEM
Help Scripting engine, that emulated Apple's HyperCard for GEM. The only
reason it never had been published were memory restrictions on good old
DOS. There also must exist a huge number of high quality Illustration files
from a drawing contest we run in Germany at CeBit 1991.We'll see, what our
archive will bring up ...

I also digged around int the links you sent me (thanks :-) ), and I think,
it's real interesting playground waking up good old memories.

Do you have an eMail Adress of Tm Olmstead? I would like to contact him and
make him change the link in his webpage from www.ccp.de to www.artline.de.
In addition, I would appreciate some corrections to his comments on
Artline, because the application all the time has been our own copyright,
all code was written at CCP, the trademark has been Digital Research's (now
it's ours) and the Artline 2 Operating System has been GEM/4. Artline 1
needs GEM 3.1, while all changes to GEM/4 have been made in cooperation
with Lee Lorenzen and Don Heiskell to keep comptibility with ventura
publisher. Bill Herndon is currently checking his archive to see, if he may
contribute GEM/4 VDI and driver sources.

I would appreciate Tim's Mail Adress, if you can manage this.

Best regards,

Thomas

Hi Chris,

ever heard of Presentation Team 2? It has been released very short, before
Novell came in. I did not see any files of this product anywhere. I'll post
it next weekend to artline.de.

greetings, Thomas

-----Urspr³ngliche Nachricht-----
Gesendet am:	Dienstag, 22. Juni 1999 20:51
An:	T.Krautter at ccp.de
Betreff:	Re: AW: GEM etc

The message <01BEB9B9.08DC82B0.T.Krautter at ccp.de>
  from  Thomas Krautter <T.Krautter at ccp.de> contains these words:

 Outline-Font Design software, we used
> to create the Artline *.AFF and *.AF2 fonts? Have you ever heard of the
GEM
> Help Scripting engine, that emulated Apple's HyperCard for GEM. The only
> reason it never had been published were memory restrictions on good old
> DOS. There also must exist a huge number of high quality Illustration
files

Drool drool drool

> I also digged around int the links you sent me (thanks :-) ), and I
think,
> it's real interesting playground waking up good old memories.

Glad you had some fun :-)

One thing Imeant to ask but probably forgot
GEM GRAPH has MAP (as in geography) and sym files, was there a tool
for creating these?
or any format information?  The 'map' editor which comes with these
only makes alterations.
I tried gemdraw so far without success .
also did gem graph ever come out in a later version which included
scatter graphs?
will gem paint ever produce a full screen colour picture?
sorrey just a few bits that really need tidying up :-)

I really like the site and am waiting with baited breath for the next
installment

any luck over Lattice 2.14 2.2?

best wishes

Chris

Hi Chirs,
there naver has been a service pack, as I remember. But I'm just through
nearly 120 5 1/4 inch disks, also holding the latest sources of drivers we
did for Gem 4. I'll put it into our web site as soon as I find the time for
it (maybe next weekend).

best wishes,

Thomas

-----Urspr³ngliche Nachricht-----
Gesendet am:	Sonntag, 11. Juli 1999 13:05
An:	T.Krautter at ccp.de
Betreff:	re GEM drivers

Hi thomas
do you happen to recall if DRI supplied a proper service pack to
manufacturers of device drivers eg video drivers, printer drivers etc
? and if yes, the where abouts of same.
we now have the original tools from DR and are still not getting a
perfect recompile of screen drivers.
have sorted a few small problems with the source code but still not
perfect so am wondering what is wrong.
How is your rooting around in the cellar going,
best wishes
Chris

Hi Chris,

sorry, I never heard of these products. However, if I get some
information, I'll pass it through to you.

best wishes,

Thomas

Hi Chris,

just returned from skiing. I'll make the sources available until next
weekend. How is anything else going?

Best wishes for the new year,

Thomas

> -----Urspr³ngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Warwick Barnes [SMTP:warwick.barnes at zetnet.co.uk]
> Gesendet am:	Mittwoch, 29. Dezember 1999 00:25
> An:	T.Krautter at ccp.de
> Betreff:	Gem screen drivers
>
> HI Thomas
> Did you ever find the source code to the later drivers ver 3 or 4 you
> thought you might have. I finally figured out how to get the version
> 2 ones from the Caldera source code to clean compile and feel its
> time to get some of the more advanced features added.
> You can find a copy of my compile directory on my site should you be
> interested.
> seasons greetings and best wishes for new year
> Chris
>
> --
>  If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then
> all is well; if not then situation normal.
> Chris father of :-)
> www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barnes_firsnorton

                 ------
Ich bin bis Montag, den 24. Januar au¯er Haus und bitte um Verstõndnis,
wenn ich Ihre Mail nicht umgehend beantworten kann.
                 ------
I'll be out of office until Monday, January 24th and apologize any
delayed response.
                 ------

Thomas Krautter

                 ------
Ich bin bis Montag, den 30.Januar au¯er Haus und bitte um Verstõndnis,
wenn ich Ihre Mail nicht umgehend beantworten kann.
                 ------
I'll be out of office until Monday, January 30th and apologize any
delayed response.
                 ------

Mit freundlichen Gr³¯en / Best Regards

Thomas Krautter