[GEM Development] Another GEM 1.x distribution

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 22:33:31 PDT 2006

  Just found another GEM 1.x version which, as far as I can tell, wasn't
archived at Deltasoft or elsewhere. It's for the Apricot Xen-i, Apricot's
first IBM clone (as opposed to their earlier IBM-incompatible PCs).

  The format I found it in does not make for easy viewing; you have to go to
http://www.actapricot.org/disks/aprididx.htm, download the contents of disks
288-295, and extract the files from funny archives. I've accordingly
extracted all the GEM files and repackaged the result at
<http://www.seasip.info/Gem/xengem.zip>.

  Salient points of this particular distro:

* The AES and the Desktop still report themselves as version 1.2.
* The driver filenames all end in '5'; as you'll see from my driver list,
these weren't previously available for download. The existing GEM 1.2
distros all have drivers with names ending '3'. GEM 1.1 drivers have names
ending in '2' and GEM 2.0 drivers have names ending in '6'.
* There's a file called INSTALL.INF, which I didn't include, but which lists
various configuration information for GEM and Windows 1.0. The
configurations used by the Xen-i and supplied on the disk are bog-standard
CGA, EGA and Hercules. However, it also lists three configurations for which
the accompanying disk files don't exist:

--
John Elliott