[GEM Development] Weird idea...

olivier.landemarre at utbm.fr Olivier.Landemarre at utbm.fr
Wed Feb 22 23:39:32 PST 2006

Selon John Elliott <jce at seasip.demon.co.uk>:

> :
> : I've thought about it, but it never got off the ground, I thought of
> : making use of the running DOS and GEM to make a high-level Atari ST
> : emulator.  ("CrySTal" would be a good name for it!)
> :
> : Thing is I don't know enough about, for one, the ST, or for another,
> : GEM...  but it would be a nice idea to bring some of the better ST stuff
> : over here until it can be ported properly...
>
>   It's a nice idea, and I've entertained it from time to time as well; the
> problem is, of course, that it's much easier to have ideas than to find the
> time to implement them.
>
>   The ideal solution would be a WINE-like environment that let ST-GEM
> programs run side by side with PC-GEM programs. You'd probably want to do
> it with a modified ST emulator, intercepting GEM calls and routing them to
> the host AES and VDI. You'd have to send everything through endianness
> conversion both ways, and probably copy stuff back and forth between the
> ST's address space and DOS's address space. It would be simplest to start
> with VDI only, routing the ST's AES through the host VDI, since VDI calls
> don't have so many structures going to and fro.

Just try this:

http://helijah.free.fr/Pack_3D

It's an all in one, in package there is version for Windows, Linux x86, MacOS X

it is based on Aranym emulator, inside it is possible to call native routine,
already for a part VDI use it.
This quite easy to call native routing of VDI AES, but it need port of SDL, for
a part for 68K system could boot.

Olivier