[GEM Development] Important news

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 21:49:30 PST 2006

All of this news about multi-tasking getting close to working is timely.
  Recently I was told by a gent called Scott McDonald that a commercial
GEM application might be on the way:

== Email contents ==

You may remember last year I asked you a few questions about GEM
development and since then I have been working, in spare time, on a GEM
flat file database application.

This is a "real" GEM application that uses GEM files for output and
makes proper use of the screen. It is not just a simple port of a
character based DOS application that uses the GEM window as a "glass
crt" to write to. It is a full graphical application.

In the course of this work I have developed a workable GEM application
framework that I plan to release under GPL or maybe a BSD licence.

The GEM application framework is currently written in Turbo Pascal, but
if there is interest I (or another interested party) could port it to C++.

As far as the "SGM Database" is concerned I have not yet decided how
this will be released as there may be some need to re-coup some of the
value taken from my commercial activities.

== End email ==

It would be simply wonderful if we could offer multi-tasking, as we
might be getting more exposure.  Also, the FreeDOS guys are really keen
on task switching.

Shane

--
Shane Martin Coughlan