[GEM Development] GEM/XM VDI source

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 17:23:17 PST 2006

Quoting Blair Campbell <blairdude at gmail.com>:
> Your desktop does not seem to work with GEM/XM, complaining after
> doesn't work.

The GPLed Desktop code (which includes John's releases, as well as the versions
Ken and I worked on) was originally the version released with GEM/3, which
introduced the "click to drop down menus" option -- so when started on versions
prior to GEM/3, you get that error message from the AES as the Desktop attempts
to restore the user's preference for that setting.  There might be other calls
introduced in GEM/3 that the Desktop is using, but that's the one that springs
to mind.

> Would it be possible to make your desktop work with
> GEM/XM?

I haven't looked at John's source enough to know the answer to that, but from
memory the relevant code was left in the source we were originally given -- if
MULTIAPP is set at compile time, it'll build a GEM/XM-compatible Desktop.  I
think I left that in place in my builds too.

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.