[GEM Development] Re: [Geos-Talk] Old GEOS versions

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 13:06:39 PST 2006

> GEM pre-emptively multi-threads but doesn't multi-task
> (one main app. running at any one time plus two or three 'desk
> accessories': e.g. alarm clock);

I think GEM does co-operative multi-processing -- if you never call into the
AES nothing else will ever get a chance to run?

> (Note HDD *not* required IF you have two 360KB floppies
> which I tried once - ONCE!)

Heh, it should actually run with only one floppy drive; you have the VDI and
AES on a 'startup' disk, once all that's loaded it prompts for a disk
containing the Desktop (or whatever app you asked it to start from the
command line, I guess).  At least, GEM/2 could -- not sure if that changed
with GEM/3 at all, by the time I got my hands on a copy I was running a 486
with orders of magnitude more storage...

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)