[GEM Development] RE: GEM Dialog Problems

Peter Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Mon Oct 17 15:58:40 PDT 2005

G'day, Scott!

Good to make your acquaintance!

I was originally trying out the various versions of GEM, and found
myself also rabbitting on a bit about they symptoms of dysfunction that
I was finding in the group at one time -- while everyone was wondering
what to do with GEM, or whether it was worth pursuing, there was a lot
of verbal milling around going on... My programming skills are limited
to a reasonable facility with batch files and the odd bit of QuickBASIC
(much more likely to succeed if I have a manual nearby.) All of that
means that I have not contributed anything much of a more intensely
technical nature.

I'm glad that you are looking at useful applications for GEM. Someone
was dreaming -- on another forum I get involved in -- about criteria for
"the ideal operating system", and I suggested that a good start was an
OS for which a few useful programs were written.

Some time in 1998 (I think) I suggested that, if some of the Poms lived
close enough to each other, they could have a GEM convention -- after
all, if you can cross England for a Sunday afternoon's drive Owen
couldn't be all that far from Liam. That never came off, but maybe we
should have an Australian GEM convention if Chris ever gets back to
Sydney. I'm sure we could find a table for three at the Marly...

Peter