[GEM Development] Wow!

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 14:20:23 PDT 2005

Dear Madcrow et Al.:

What do you want *more than* 256-colors for?

In the letter that got 'trashed' - and not yet re-sent
- I said it'd be nice to have a 256 color system - but
not more - because 'The Web' has created a two hundred
sixteen (216) color standard (that's right, 216 not
256).

There are 216 "web safe" colors that *all* browsers /
Hw/Sw 'platforms' 'agree on'. (six cubed for the Math.
inclined) The 'next level up' BTW, is 'True Color':
16Millions (2 to the 24th power).

As John E. has stated, the memory to hold that 'much
image' just doesn't exist. EMS - not XMS - might give
us the needed room for 'real mode' GEM beyond that I
don't want to consider.

Tom Clayton