[GEM Development] Desktop features

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 23:34:55 PDT 2004

OK, folks, a real GEM question now: what would you like me to look at on the
Desktop?

My last version has some random features added, such as the 'shortcuts' to
common folders, and the Send To menu, which are all well and good, but it's
not hugely good code in places (hey, I was still wet-behind-the-ears at C when
I started hacking on it) and can be rather unstable.  I'm now looking for
projects to play with in my spare time, and alongside Zinc
(http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/zinc/) I've got GEM to faff about on.  So
basically I'm going to take John's desktop, with the 1.2 features done
properly as opposed to 'bodge it until it works' like wot I did, and add the
stuff I liked from mine.  And then maybe add more stuff.

Of course, GEM is still a hobby project for me, so it remains to be seen just
how much time I'll spend on it -- but I'm done with my degree now, and will be
working as a contract developer from next month, which means I'll probably
want to leave work at the office and play at home instead.  So once I've
caught up on the piles of GEM-related correspondence that I've gathered over
the last three weeks (exam season) I'll start thinking about things.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)