[GEM Development] GEMWeb with ADSL or Cable

Armand Colleye a.colleye at wxs.nl
Wed Jul 14 23:33:46 PDT 2004

Heinz Rath wrote:

>hi
>
>i am not completly sure if i correctly understood what
>Armand mean.

Well Heinz, English is als not my first language.
So I have to try to put my thoughts in simple words. Like you do I presume
Sorry if I can't help you, because you put your statement in front, and
not underneath my lines.
So I do not have any clue, which text-part you don't understand.

>You can use GEMWeb to surf internet also with ADSL of Cable
>the only thing is you need is that your cable or adsl modem is
>connected threw a network card with your computer. For USB adsl
>modems i have no solution.

In the Netherlands the competition between the providers is strong. You
get more for less.
This means that the upload/donwload stream get bigger for the same or
less flat-fee per month.
Keep that in mind and that USB is a piece of hardware that is not
capable (in the end) to cope with such data quantity streams.
USB is invented after DOS. SO to have drivers to get USB under DOS is
difficult if not possible.

In order to use GEMWEB you need the other vehicle, and that is a sort of
TXP/IP going is it not?

>For example i am using cable. The trick do it is to simple
>use a pktdrvr for dos. that's it nothing more to do at least
>for me as i have a fixed ip. If you have a dynamic ip you would
>habe to search for a dhcp client.
>
>there is a little update for GEMWeb needed. you can download it
>here.
>http://www.geocities.com/heinz_rath/gemwupd.zip
>
>here you can find some packet drivers
>http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/00index.html

Well thanks for the URL's :))

>you can also use the msclient network to surf with gemweb. i think
>i have here still a mail on my harddisk which describes how it
>works...(i think the file protocol.ini needs change) i will search
>it out if you need it.
>
>the trick is simply set packet interrupt to 0x60
>and then make this changes to wattcp.cfg
>IP=x.x.x.x
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>GATEWAY=x.x.x.x
>NAMESERVER=x.x.x.x

I use a DSL-router modem.
The trick above is correct, with the following addition/mutation (IMHO):
IP is the IP you give to your own PC. Static or via dhcp
GATEWAY is the ip-adres you give your router.
The default route should lead to this IP-adres.
seearch through the man-pages and you will find a command line that
reads like:
route add 0 ip-adres or route add default ip-adres
nameserver or DNS should contain the ip-adres of your own router and the
dns-ip that form your provider. So in total 2 lines.
OS/2 has a maximum of 3 DNS. Maybe have other OS'es a other limit.

>instead of x.x.x.x write your ip's.
>i hope this helps.

To me, Armand a lot.
Peter please give feedback on this