[GEM Development] test for my new mailing program

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 16:02:05 PDT 2004

Ben A L Jemmett wrote:

>>It's also insecure as hell and prone to every new virus that comes
>>along.
>

> Really?  Hmm.  I see plenty of viruses turn up in my mail, but haven't been
> infected by any of them.

Fair enough. It's perfectly possible to protect it, as any other
program, usign caution, antivirus s/w and careful configuration. The
same's true of every MS product, asd well as everyone else's insecure code.

I just don't like to run things which are known to have such flaws. IF
there's an alternative, I'll evaluate it closely. If I find it to be
better and cheaper, and arguably "free" is cheaper than everything, even
other free products, then I'll take it.

> I didn't like Thunderbird when I tried it earlier in the year; not sure why.
> Most of the OE's irritations for me are actually down to a slow connection
> (IMAP is a bit laggy basically).

Ahh. Not a fan of IMAP; doesn't do what I want/need and POP3 works fine.
  Used it and always found it a PITA.

> Firefox is growing on me as a browser;
> compared to IE, each of them is about as unstable as the other, but Firefox
> currently in the more annoying way.  I am considering switching browser and
> mail/news client in a few months though once I've got through my exams and I
> get a new machine for work, so we shall see.

[Nod]

--
Liam Proven
Web: http://welcome.to/liamsweb & http://lproven.livejournal.com