[GEM Development] Raspberry-Pi Computer Details

Ben A L Jemmett ben at jemmett.me.uk
Tue May 8 10:03:10 PDT 2012

> Ok it's official.  You suck. :)

I've been called worse by better ;)  (I'm absolutely astounded to have got
one of the first 10,000 units -- by the time I managed to actually place my
order on launch day I figured I'd be somewhere well down the line, given
that I'd been trying to get Farnell's site to pay attention to me on and off
all morning before it finally let me log in and stick the item number in the
'quick order on account' box...)

> Those useless bastards at RS won't even let me order yet!

To be honest, my above comment notwithstanding, RS seem to be handling this
better overall from a keeping-people-informed point of view -- they started
out with the "get in line, we'll contact you when we have units to ship"
schtick and true to their word have been inviting people to actually place
orders as and when stock arrived.  Farnell seem to have gone for more of an
every-man-for-himself approach before finally realising this was an issue
and preventing further pre-orders / only allowing 'expressions of interest'.
Once the initial rush settles down I imagine they'll be much of a muchness.

I'm waiting to see further stats from both disties, just out of morbid
curiousity -- so far the closest to hard figures seems to be that they have
well over 100,000 pre-orders/registrations of interest each.  RS claim the
700 units they received in their first shipment covered orders placed up to
6.01 a.m. on launch day...

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/