[GEM Development] Today I Learned

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 11:48:17 PST 2012

Hi John,

First, just for clarification,
"
  ... that the support for palette changes[,] in just about every GEM driver
I'm aware of[,] is buggy.
"

Secondly, some questions.

For 16 color (or colour(?), in UK English) modes, I thought there was one, and only one, set of 16 for ALL computers - not JUST versions of GEM. Those 16 were THE same established ones for TI-99/4a, Apple II's., IBM CGA, EGA, and VGA, AND Macintoshes. (It was something like "native" choices. They MIGHT not LOOK the same (or be) BUT the video chip WOULD BE making THE same assignments for ANY system.)

It was when one 'went to' 256 colors that "variety" became an "issue". Is THIS what you're commenting upon? There wasn't A standard 'palette'.
There IS, now, one - well, for 216 (6-cubed) colors - derived from web-page 'universality'.

This, BTW, has been why I had been curious about SciTech Software's UniVESA (from back in the day) AND PC-GEM. (It would require 512KB, if not 1MB, V-RAM.) I had hoped to put you in contact (maybe I did, briefly) with (name escapes me) at SciTech (though he seemed to ONLY want to converse about the latest 32-bit 'incarnation': the universal SNAP driver (for Windows, for Linux and, my beloved, "OS/3"). They have (he has) since SOLD all that to some Canadian company and moved back to Australia (AFAIK). ( ___  Benton?  When I come across his name again, I'll post it.) SNAP (and UniVESA?) was, I thought, ?some what? open-source.

Anyway, the 'dream' was 216 standardized colors and 40 "I don't care" values to make up a deeper (256) color palette for PC-GEM that would allow an 'Arachne-like' app for GEM to be built. And, then, there are all those graphics app.s ... that could use them, also. :-)

Sincerely,

Thomas Clayton
who still thinks in terms of a DRi PCGEMDOS - OR OS/O (O for Original) or OS/1.

'nough for now.