[GEM Development] Today I Learned

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 13:02:51 PST 2012

  ... that the support for palette changes in just about every GEM driver
I'm aware of is buggy.

  What happens is: the RGB table is held in the driver data segment, so each
workstation (graphics context) has its own RGB table. This means that changes
made by vs_color() in one workstation won't be picked up by others. You can
see this happen by loading two copies of PALETTE.ACC, opening them both,
making a change in one, and then clicking on the same colour in the other
one.

  Since there is only one screen and only one palette, I'd expect a vs_color
in one workstation to be reflected if there's a vq_color in another. I'd be
interested to learn whether this is the case in Atari GEM; the documentation
here <http://toshyp.atari.org/en/007004.html#vs_color> can be read as
implying it.

--
John Elliott