[GEM Development] G-GUI

Georg Potthast mailbox at georgpotthast.de
Sat Oct 11 01:13:06 PDT 2008

Dear Thomas,

I am currently working on a new release for DOSUSB. As you can see from the number of entries in the forums there is a much greater interest in DOSUSB compared to G-GUI. So I have not worked on G-GUI for some time.

However, GUI programming allows you to work with colors and images while with DOSUSB you may work for a week just to get the USB controller to finally set a bit in a register.

Since there are no new applications developed for DOS any more I think maybe one could use a cross-platform approach to provide a graphical environment to develop applications that work with Windows, Linux, and DOS. So the new application would not be limited to DOS. One could also convert existing DOS applications this way to Windows and Linux by adding a new user interface to them. Or convert simple Windows applications to work with Linux and DOS too.

The HXDOS extender allows to run SDL and OpenGL on DOS. I also found a GUI based on SDL called AGAR which I got to run with HXDOS and SDL. So SDL and AGAR provide a cross-platform GUI for Windows and Linux which will run with DOS too using HXDOS. Of course you have to limit the functions the new application uses to the subset that is offered by all three OS's.

Here are the links:

http://www.libsdl.org/

http://libagar.org/ (ugly screenshots but you can select any color or theme as a developer)

http://www.japheth.de/HX.html

I intend to look into this concept when the next version of DOSUSB is released.

Georg