[GEM Development] Thomas' message and Wiki

José Emilio Mori Recio joemmore at archivalladolid.org
Tue Oct 7 06:27:00 PDT 2008

Hi again.

First of all, Thomas' answer to my message about the wiki and G-GUI finally
didn't get to the list, so I copy it here:

*****
> I have also read and visited the G-GUI project, which is interesting, but
> I'm afraid it means more splitting of the efforts... I don't think there
is
> "market" for a lot of graphic environments over DOS, and I think GEM
should
> be the one to support because of its history and programs already
available.

I agree. GEM not G-GUI.

Two points about the G-GUI.
i) I'm not sure IF Georg Pothast had "heard of" GEM before now.
It would be GOOD to have him to join US.

(I've written a letter for his 'G-GUI Forum' informing him and any lookers
that GEM exists.)

ii) WE might learn some things FROM his efforts (his code, too?) that would
be useful / beneficial for GEM.

Sincerely, Thomas Clayton
*****

I fully agree with i) and ii). In fact, the G-GUI project seems to be
stopped and maybe ended, as its forum has no new messages since Feb. 2007
(except for Thomas' one) and it doesn't appear among the FreeDOS GUI's, even
after it was suggested in its forum in 2007.

And back to GEM... Thank you, Rob, for your answer about the primary wiki.
As you asked, I confirm I'm interested in using and updating it right now, a
little work each week, as it's an easy task which doesn't need bigger "time
slots" as the rest of "GEM tasks" which I plan for 2009. If I can help you
on-line in the fixing process, just let me know (I've just set up another
MediaWiki wiki in our University site). And, if things get difficult, just
wondering, should it be a problem to make the secondary wiki the primary one
to use and update? Anyway, thank you in advance for your efforts.

Looking forward to your answers...

//     José Emilio Mori Recio - http://www.gui.uva.es/~jem         \\
|| Administrador Informático, Arzobispado de Valladolid y Archivo  ||
\\ Miembro 088 del Grupo Universitario de Informática, Valladolid  //