[GEM Development] Current status and future? and wiki's database lock

rob at midworld.co.uk rob at midworld.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 01:32:16 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 01:58:31AM +0200, José Emilio Mori Recio wrote:
> Hi again. I'm glad to see all the answers after my message, and the
> wiki2
> back working. Thank you all.
>
> So, I'll wait until the end of the year for news on OpenGEM 7 and the
> update
> of Shane's site and its documentation and code. Meanwhile, I think a
> more
> updated (currently, no updates for more than a year), comprehensive
> and
> complete wiki, and an updated and extended FAQ about
> GEM/OpenGEM/FreeGEM
> shared by all the GEM sites (at least, the ones whose maintainers are
> subscribed here; almost all, I hope) could be very useful to get more
> people
> involved in the project.

Hi,

The problem on my side is that work is eating me alive and I've had no
time to do any programming-for-fun in about six months :(.  I'd love at
some point to have time to finish my experimental freeGEM distro which I
had in development (on my Acorn RISC PC, no less!).  It had some
package management including for drivers, and had metapackages to
extract the AES and VDI from other GEM-based applications.  Which were
fun and led to some interesting crashes...

> I have tried to begin that task, but when trying to create an account at the
> wiki2, the answer was "the database is currently locked..." because "This is
> the read-only mirror site; to edit pages, please use the primary mirror on
> wiki.freegem.net..." but the primary mirror won't work, so I'm stuck there.
> Anyone can fix that?

The fact that the primary wiki is down is my fault.  It had a bad case
of 'hard disc turning into swiss cheese'.

I also started restoring it and lost my details for the mirror again.
:-( so basically I fail on a large number of levels and need to get Owen
to send me my login details again, which he is probably quite fed up
with.

I am more than happy to fix this if it'll be used, it's just a matter of
girding my loins and not getting side-tracked or confused.  Anyone up
for bullying me into it? :-p

> I have also read and visited the G-GUI project, which is interesting, but
> I'm afraid it means more splitting of the efforts... I don't think there is
> "market" for a lot of graphic environments over DOS, and I think GEM should
> be the one to support because of its history and programs already available.
> If there isn't much going on in enhancements, as Owen said, I think it would
> be important to coordinate and join our efforts to get more (or some)
> results. OK, I know open source means freedom for everyone, but maintaining
> several compiting graphic environments or GEM distributions/projects would
> mean confusing people, which would have to read about all of them in order
> to choose; and they could easily forget about it if they have to spend that
> extra time, as using (or developing) GEM is usually a hobby, and we all know
> here that free time for hobbies is rare in these days...
>
> Anyway, it's only my thinking, time will tell. I'll keep on watching this
> list's news.

Take care,

Rob