[GEM Development] USA Members and GEM Materials

Thomas Clayton topcatdrc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 19:09:03 PDT 2007

> 80488?

Yeah. A 80488 micro-processor.
Want to make something of it? ;-)

An 80(0)88 (= 80088) you'll remember - ok, maybe NOT Owen who IS, much
younger than I thought he was - has half the data lines than an 80(0)86
'chip'. The 80386 came out with 32 data and 32 address lines. The
"80386SX" came out later and had 16 data lines and 24 address lines.
Then they called the original an "80386DX". Well the first IS an 80386,
and the second was an 80388 - in MY terms. The FPUs, therefore, are
80387 and 80389 (MY terms).

Next there was the 80486-ES MESS. These are easily 'straightened out':
the first was an 80485 (HAS an internal FPU, was an "80486DX",
32D,32A), the second was an 80486 (does NOT have an internal FPU, was
an "80486SX", 32D,32A), thirdly, CYRIX and later TI and IBM, came out
with "80486"es which were NOT either of the above. They're called
80488es, by me.

Can you GUESS their properties?

That's (probably) correct. (*see end)
See how easy that makes things! ;-)

Most everyone uses an x85 chip now-a-days, BTW.

BTW: THIS SYSTEM was (/IS?) TO GO TO DAVEY BRAIN! - which is why I'm
searching for him. We (he and I) agreed to this some time ago - Spring
'6 I think - and when I TRIED to contact him in the late Autumn the
e-addressES I had for him, didn't work.

Sincerely - though jokingly, at first,

Thomas Clayton

*An 80488 has 16 data lines, 24 address lines, caches that OFTEN are a
fraction of the 80485/6es - though IBM boosted their's to double size -
and, of course, NO internal FPU.

The specific chip in the system is a clock DOUBLED version so that it's
25MHz X2 = 50MHz internally and from IBM, so it has TWICE the cache -
16KB. No "L2" cache though, but a 'full' 16MB RAM is included.
Runs OS/2 1.3 with a Cirrus Logic 1MB '26 video accelerator.
Real Pretty.
Ran everything GEM that I could get my hands on, at one time.
(640x480x16colors)

that Wm. Walsh - of PS/2 website fame - IS recieving from me .
I HAVE to rid myself of SOME things. He'll turn it 'over to'
Davey Brain WHEN Davey wants it. Wm. is in middle IL, USA.