[GEM Development] GEM.BAT fails with ChDir under FreeDOS

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 23:07:20 PDT 2006

Quoting John Hupp <opengem at prpcompany.com>:
> Perhaps I've unintentionally changed a PATH entry or some such.  I don't
> think so.  At any rate, the GEM.BAT installed by GEM 6 bundled with FreeDOS
> 1.0 fails at CD \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS if you try to start GEM from outside the
> root directory on a pure FreeDOS machine.

That sounds like something's broken, either in FreeDOS or in OpenGEM.

If you're in, say, C:\STUFF\FILES\OTHER and the CD \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS does not put
you in C:\GEMAPPS\GEMSYS, then FreeDOS is broken...  I don't use it (or OpenGEM,
for that matter) so wouldn't know, but if that's the case then I'd be very
surprised!

If you're in, say, D:\ then CD \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS will (correctly) fail -- but CD
C:\GEMAPPS\GEMSYS won't change current drive under any version of MS-DOS that I
know of.  As such, OpenGEM's GEM.BAT should have a C: command to change current
drive at some point.  If that's after the CD \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS line then your fix
is fine, but it'd probably be equally sensible to just move the C: command to
before the CD for Shane's bugfix release *grin*

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.