[GEM Development] Moving soon!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Jan 26 18:34:04 PST 2006

Thomas Clayton wrote:
> [This is a RE-reply, RE-posted.]
> Dear Gene:
>
> A "T1 will be installed in the new house soon"?! Wow.
>
> What's involved in getting one of those - for a home?
> SKIP any money discussions for the moment, I'm only interested in
> technology issues. (I've 'intellecually' preferred a T1 over DSL
> for some time. [T1 = 'broadband' ISDN :-) ])

You just pick up the phone and call Speakeasy. :)

The last time I did a T1 install was back in '96 when I was the sysadmin
at Washington Internet Services.  The circuit took forever and you had
to buy a CSU/DSU (I picked Adtran) and a router with a V35 port on it so
it could talk to the CSU/DSU.

These days you just buy an all in one gadget. :)  Mine is a Netopia and
it has the CSU/DSU built in as well as some nice firewall features.

The trick is the IP space.  I happen to have my own Class C address
block so I don't need any from my upstream provider.  I got it back in
1994 when you didn't have to pay $2500 a year for a Class C. :)

> Also, I'm sure we all hope that the 'old provider' doesn't 'do in'
> all our GEM-Dev discussion 'logs' (back-logs from the last several
> years) till you get them copied over to the 'new place'.

Not likely to happen unless the drives don't spin up when I move all the
gear to the new house.  All the mail and webservers live here and are
fed by an anemic 640/256 ADSL line.  Yes, I'm THAT much of a geek.  I'm
looking forward to finally having some time to work on the MicroPDP I've
had in storage for the last 9 years. :)

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"

Proud owner of 80-0007