[GEM Development] Test (No December monthly notice!)

Michael Bernstein pcgem at mbernstein.de
Fri Dec 22 02:08:12 PST 2006

Hi Peter,

thank you for switching to text mails. This is much more easy for me to
handle.

> I don't know what you are referring to with "empty mail" and not being
> able to get my mailtext,

This is exactly what i wrote. My mailer display only text parts and has
to start a browser to display the html part. If i read your mails, i got
a empty page. I had to list all attachements, select the html part and
then select view to get the html part displayed. And if i want to reply,
the text part is pre-quoted to the new mail by my mailer to allow quote
parts of your meail. Because your mails dont have a text part, there is
nothing there.

> as all the posts including my own seem legible under my settings.

Yes, if your mailer views automatily the html part, you dont see it. It
is not the case, that there is no text inside your mails. It is only the
problem of handling. It is the same as you send any other attachements.
I have manually call the appropriate viewer.

> Many years ago everyone was using plain text on the GEM site,

This is also still now the case. Your mails are the only mails which had
no text parts.

> but I'd assumed that that was no longer an issue, so had just accepted
> the Firefox default.

It depends on the mail reader someone uses. I dont use a browser. And
send mails as html instead of text is nonsense in my opinion. There is
no reason for it because nearly nobody uses the formating possibilities.
But it opens the door for phishing, viruses, ..., pictures (hidden or
not) located at the web allowed tracking of you because they see if you
open the mail. Lok at your spam. Most of them is html,

Michael