[GEM Development] Quickmap

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 19:58:49 PDT 2005

: It's rather odd -- the QM400.EXE application must contain its own AES,
: since the application looks and behaves exactly like a GEM application.
: It had me fooled while running it, until I looked to see why it has to
: be started via QM.BAT rather than a .APP file.  Renaming the GEM.EXE
: from my actual installation doesn't stop the program running, but
: prevents the "Output" and "Enter GEM" options from launching OUTPUT.APP
: or DESKTOP.APP respectively.  Changing some colour schemes in your
: SETTINGS.APP affects Output and Desktop, but not the mapping application
: itself.

  Yes; I've now got it working using the GEM/3 3.13 that came with it, and
changing the desktop pattern in GEM.RSC has no effect on the desktop in
QMAP. The other giveaway is that, on my copy of DOSEMU (which has
none-too-sprightly VGA emulation) the menus in QMAP get drawn much more
slowly than real GEM ones. I suspect that what we have is a P-code system,
where QM400.EXE is the interpreter, and the rest of the .PGM files implement
everything including the AES.

: > I've not managed to get it working, but maybe one of the other posters =
: > will have more luck.
:
: Worked fine here

  Lucky you. I spent most of the afternoon fighting it. After trying several
different GEM installations and DOS emulators, I finally managed to get it
to run in DOSEMU by using MSDOS 3 instead of DRDOS 6; though it still
won't open the example files.

--
------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott           |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"