[GEM Development] Talking of interesting screenshots...

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 14:26:24 PST 2005

John Elliott wrote:

> <http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/abc.htm>

I /think/ that's the chap I was talking to and I saw both his
non-working machine as well as the functional one.

> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.whytehead/ABC.html>

A somewhat scatterbrained chap, it seems!

> <http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/CP%2FM+and+Derivatives?OpenDocument>

Fascinating. TVVM. I've added a link to my Wikipedia Multiuser DOS
article, pending a rewrite with the extra info. Shame he doesn't cite
dates or anything, though.

Suggestions or contributions to the WP article are hereby solicited!

>   It was Concurrent CP/M up to 3.1, then became Concurrent DOS, then
> Concurrent DOS XM, then Concurrent DOS 386.

Many thanks for the clarification. One can see one reason how & why DR
went under with this profusion of confusing and in many cases
incompatible products, combined with their reluctance to incorporate new
ideas from the competition, as more recent OS success stories - Windows,
Mac OS X, Linux - show.

>   Getting back briefly to the subject of this thread, I've now added
> screenshots of GEM/XM to my screenshot page; and, in the process, found out
> why you can't copy/paste text between DOS and GEM apps unless GEM/XM is
> installed on drive C:.

(!) I shall go look immediately!

--
Liam Proven