[GEM Development] Talking of interesting screenshots...

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 13:31:35 PST 2005

> But on that noe, I don't recall a 286 version of Concurrent DOS. I
> thought CDOS was 386-only.

I'm sure I saw references to Concurrent DOS before the 386 was available; I
think in the manual for my Amstrad (a phrase such as "other operating
systems, for example Concurrent CP/M or Concurrent DOS").  If only I knew
which swine half-inched my copy...

Ah, Matthias Paul has this to say at
http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/newsitem/135.txt:
---
At the same time, Digital Research's product was renamed into
Concurrent DOS 3.2 (aka CDOS), which was developed and distributed
in several partially parallel flavors as Concurrent DOS 86
(1984 - ca. 1986), Concurrent DOS 86 XM (a bank-switched
version utilizing an EEMS hardware, ca. 1986 - ca. 1988),
Concurrent DOS 286 (1985 - ca. 1987), and Concurrent DOS 386
(since 1987), each of which was available for many different
OEM hardware platforms. The Concurrent DOS issues for IBM PC
compatible machines were named Concurrent PC DOS instead of
just Concurrent DOS to reflect an IBM compatible XIOS
(Extended Input Output System), although this basic naming
scheme was not maintained all the time.

[...]

Another sideline worth mentioning was DOS Plus (1.0???) 1.2 - 2.1
(1985 - 1987), which was basically a single-user multi-tasking
issue of Concurrent DOS 4.1 - 5.0 (BDOS 4.1 - 5.0), which already
emulated PC DOS 2.11, so that it ran CP/M-86 as well as native
DOS programs.
---

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.