[GEM Development] update of news about the OpenGEM GUI

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:26:35 PST 2005

Here is some of the latest news about the OpenGEM GUI software suite.  I'm
sorry for the delay in (a) telling everyone what has been happening, and (b)
releasing OpenGEM Release 4, which is our formal release intended for
FreeDOS 1.0.

- OpenGEM Release 4 delayed (but still coming!) (8/3/05)

Shane Land is rather embarressed to announce that OpenGEM Release 4 has been
delayed due to critical hardware failure. Shane M. Coughlan, the creator of
OpenGEM, upgraded to a ASUS laptop in January, and it promptly suffered hard
drive failure (taking much of OpenGEM Release 4 with it). Reconstruction
work is underway now that ASUS have fixed the laptop. Amazingly it took ASUS
over one month to repair the machine. We're really sorry, and assure you
that Release 4 will be out soon.

- Shane Land gets two donations (8/3/05)

Since our rather snippy news about getting only one donation to support
OpenGEM in the last three years, two wonderful people have stepped forward
to show their support for OpenGEM! Thank you Dennis Schulmeister and Magnus
Hansson. Your donations are going to help pay for the next year of hosting
OpenGEM downloads from our server.

You can download OpenGEM Release 3 from http://gem.shaneland.co.uk and it'll
be easy to update this version of OpenGEM to OpenGEM Release 4 through a
patch.

Regards

Shane