[GEM Development] [Fwd: Re: Bugs (or things that could be fixed)

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 16:32:49 PDT 2005

: I've now tested it in pure FreeDOS and it works fine.  However, it
: still does not work on Win98. Perhaps it has something to do with my
: USB devices.

  You can see if the problem is the drive detection code by disabling it.
Edit \GEMAPPS\GEMSYS\DESKTOP.INF; the first line should either be #E
followed by four hex digits, or #E followed by six. For example:

#E790700   or  #E790F

  If there are four digits, add "0C" to the end of the line. If there are
six, then change the last two to "0C". This disables all drive scanning.

: Anyways, the important thing (to me) is that it works in
: FreeDOS.  One complaint I have is that the icons overlap each other
: when I start GEM and I have to rearrange them so that I can see all of
: the drives.  It would be really nice if this was not necessary.

  Yes; the auto-arrange (borrowed from GEM/1) is a trifle weird. What it
tries to do is put newly-added drives on a line between the last existing
drive and the trashcan; which is fine if you've got the screen laid out like
a Mac with C: at the top right and the trash at the bottom right, but can
look a bit bizarre in other circumstances. The original was also inclined to
position drives off the edge of the screen; I've done a quick fix for this.
The function to edit (if anyone has any better ideas where to put the
drives) is ins_posdisk().

--
John Elliott