[GEM Development] Slashdotted and comments

Peter Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Fri Aug 5 01:03:33 PDT 2005

Glad to be of assistance.

My daughter visited California recently, and discovered that most people
loved her accent, but failed to grasp what she was talking about unless
she adopted US American pronunciations and terminology. So it is a
pleasure to talk to an American who makes an effort to understand us. In
my regular journeys to the Marrickville shops, I am likely to encounter
several varieties of UK English, US English, NZ English, Subcontinental
English, Pacific Islands English, Philippino English, Chinese,
Vietnamese and Laotian English, Greek English and several other
varieties of the language. Understanding isn't always easy, but it's
often worth doing. And it's good when someone else makes the effort with
us. So, thanks again.

I suspected that the socks bit might have been a little obscure in some
circles, though the UK readers should have had some idea of what I
meant, considering that they also have Woolworths -- though the two
firms are totally unrelated. The founder of Woolworths in Australia was
allegedly inspired by the English firm. I think there is also a
Woolworths in NZ, which is an overseas expansion of the Australian company.

"It's a joke, Joyce!" was a line in a BBC Radio comedy series starring
Joyce Grenfell, in which she played a character unable to recognise a
joke when confronted by one. I believe the series played in Australia
for a while.

Cheers,

Peter