[GEM Development] [Fwd: Re: OpenGEM GUI]

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:42:16 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: OpenGEM GUI
Date: 	Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:51:28 -0700
From: 	Blair Campbell <blairdude at gmail.com>
To: 	Shane M. Coughlan <shane at shaneland.co.uk>

> I hear you're interested in the OpenGEM GUI, and I'd like to tell you
> more about it.

Yes!  Sounds like a great GUI for file management and productivity on my 386.

> First of all, please let me know your approach, what you want to know,
> and what you'd like to do with OpenGEM... what would you like to see
> the system used for?

I've read about a project called GEM/X (or something like that) that
does multitasking, and even though I've also read that it was very
buggy and never really released, I would like to see a multitasking
OpenGEM.  It would probably be a difficult project, but there is a
basis to start on, and I could help a bit (with my poor (as I am still
learning C) C programming skills).

I haven't yet tested OpenGEM 4 but I have previously used GEMini and I liked it.

OpenGEM is probably the best GUI available for DOS and is very stable
(compared to SEAL or OzoneGUI), and is likely also the most promising
(all other DOS GUIs I know of are no longer developed).  If GEM/X were
ever to be developed to be a full blown multitasking GEM, it would
also be a great start for a DOS multitasker (like DR-DOS's, but this
is looking far into the future, but, as it is in a GUI, it would end
up being more like Windows 3.1 or DesQView[/X] (as the Open DesQView
project never really got off the ground)).  I am certainly interested
in the future of OpenGEM and would like to help in any way I can to
help it reach it's full potential (a multitasking GUI, IMHO).

Blair Campbell