[GEM Development] Re: Virus??????????

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:22:46 PDT 2004

Hi there....I believe Owen isolated this problem with a comment earlier on
the list.  It's actually not my machine.  Rather it is someone else's
machine sending emails that are 'ghosted' with my address.  It just so
happens that my address allows email to arrive on the GEM DEV list.
However, they are incorrectly listed as being from "Shane" rather than
"Shane M Coughlan"

It's a real pain, and very annoying to me.  From my perspective it's a real
pain, as I am trying to release software and files, and it undermines my
credibility to have this happen.  My own machine is not infectable.  It is
Windows98SE, with a firewall, Norton Anti-virus, and with settings to
prevent any ActiveX control automatically executing.  Furthermore, I have
spyware control software, and my internet stream is monitored.  There are
simply NO emails leaving my system that I have not personally sent.

Best

Shane